Moving to Hugo

Joinville -

After some time, I finally decided to move my blog from Jekyll to Hugo.

That was probably the best thing I did in the past few weeks. My Jekyll builds were really slow, and the feedback loop was too big. I get easily distracted, so, I was not writing much.

You can read some of my fight to make it faster here. Well, with Hugo, doesn’t matter which features I use, full build time is always less than 1 second and incremental builds take ~300ms. Fast should be Hugo’s middle name!

Also, my build was running htmlproof, which is nice, but also extremelly slow, so I only ran it on Travis. With old posts breaking randomly, I eventually gave up.

Now, I’m using Hugo with a custom version of the hugo-type-theme (pull request is open though), and it’s being automagically deployed to Netlify, with SSL by Let’s Encrypt.

I’m also linting everything with a faster port of htmlproof, written in Go. It’s called htmltest and it is awesome.

On the automation end, I’m using the good-old-new-hype of make. So, take a look at the Makefile in the root of the repo if you wish.

Next steps

Probably enable the performance stuff on Netlify and hopefully write more often again!

blog hugo
Avatar photo Carlos is a Site Reliability Engineer who enjoys working on OpenSource. Twitter Tweet